“Everything in life is about luck. Some people suffered heavily during this journey. Some didn’t suffer much, while others didn’t suffer at all. Everything in life is a matter of destiny. Something that works for one person may not work for another, so it’s all about luck.” 39-year-old man from Nigeria interviewed in Libya
• A total 2,941 refugees and migrants were interviewed by 4Mi in Libya, Niger and Mali between 1 June 2017 and 7 February 2018.
• 68% of respondents encountered one or more protection incidents during this time.
• A total 1,117 protection incidents occurred in Libya, accounting for 44% of all incidents reported to 4Mi. • Women are at greater risk of sexual violence. A total of 148 women encountered abuses including rape, indecent touching and verbal harassment.
• A majority of men reported multiple physical abuses including torture, beatings, flogging and sleep or food deprivation.
• Enduring multiple hardships, including dehydration, starvation and ill-treatment, at least 1,600 refugees and migrants died on the journey to Libya, of which 518 perished in desert areas of Sudan, Egypt, Niger and Libya.
• As protection violations along migration routes continue to increase, protection assistance is insufficient and inaccessible to most.
- Organisation MMC
- Publication date